St. Thomas’ Church
Welcome to our website.
St. Thomas is the parish centre of worship for the north west part of Letchworth Garden City, and largely includes the Wilbury district ward.
For many years the Wilbury area was part of the parish of Norton, with its ancient medieval church in Norton village. When the area of Wilbury was being built up before the second world war, it was felt that there was an urgent need for a place of Christian worship in the centre of the housing area. In response to an appeal by the then Bishop of St. Alban’s, a dual purpose building was planned and built – one of the first of its kind in this diocese. St. Thomas’ has always been a church and community centre. The new building was opened on 19th. March 1938. It proved its value during the second world war as a centre for evacuees, and much of the life of the community was centred around it. It was for a time used as a school. In the 1960’s, the need for an additional hall for youth activities, including uniformed organisations, was clearly seen. As a result a Youth Hall was erected in 1969 at the back of the church and this made a useful addition to the facilities in the area. In the late 1990’s a new community centre, Wilbury Hall, was built which replaced the old Youth Hall. In the late 1970’s it was agreed that St. Thomas’ of Wilbury should be a parish in it’s own right, within the Letchworth Group Ministry to which it belongs. The new parish was inaugurated on 1st. January 1981.